04 November 2010

Piano

I was watching a program about Michael Feinstein the other day. Michael has always loved the music of George and Ira Gershwin and in his twenties worked with Ira to catalog his musical archives. During one of Michael's visits to a musical historian/collector, I noticed a player piano in the background. That brought me back to 1942 when my parents rented a house at 17 Bly St. in Rochester, NY. The owners had left a player piano for us to use along with several rolls of music. I remember sitting on the bench and listening to "I Don't Want to Set the World on Fire" while the keys jumped up and down. There were other songs we played but that's the one I loved.

2 comments:

Charlene said...

We had an upright piano when I was a kid; black, tall and required playing. I spent a lot of hours practicing to play on it but never became competent. I could have used those hours day dreaming to better effect. A player piano!? What a great thing you got back then!

Granpappy said...

Unfortunately, the piano stayed with the house when we moved. But it sure was fun while it lasted.